Great institutions and movements are often conceived by the concern of some men of vision for a noble cause and these institutions reach excellence to find a permanent place in the history of humanity. One such institution that has served humanity in the field of education for a hundred and seventy five years, with unflagging zeal, is the Madras Christian College Higher Secondary School.
 
The credit of having brought western education to Madras goes to the church of Scotland. Two Chaplains - Rev. James Laurie and Rev. Mathew Bowce who had come to serve the congregation at St. Andrew's Kirk, Egmore opened a school on Roundall's Road in June 1835. The appeal to the Church of Scotland for a missionary and an educationist, brought forth REV. JOHN ANDERSON to Madras on Feb 22nd 1837. He initiated the move, for the school to a better placed two storied house at Armenian St. in George Town. The school started functioning from April 3rd 1837 and was renamed ‘Madras General Assembly’s School’. Anderson sacrificed much for the building of this institution , carried out several bold academic reforms and also opened education for the oppressed sections of the society.  

REV. JOHN ANDERSON
 

SAILOR'S HOME IN ESPLANADE In 1846 the school moved to a renovated building called SAILOR’S HOME IN ESPLANADE.

REV. WILLIAM MILLER took over in 1862 and was destined to become the greatest architect of the school. The School which until then was going through rough weather got upgraded into a college.

REV. WILLIAM MILLER
NAPIER GARDEN IN CHETPET

In 1877, the school got its present name “MADRAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE”. The school grew so much in strength and reputation, as to never lose them again. The curriculum was updated and made more comprehensive.

In course of time, it became clear that the school should move to a larger, quieter and healthier site and the effort to move the school to a new locale was intensified by MR. KURUVILLA JACOB who became the Head Master in 1931. The present site at Chetpet, then called NAPIER GARDEN was purchased and the school moved into the newly constructed building in the year 1950.

MR. KURUVILLA JACOB
 

It was during Mr. Kuruvilla Jacob’s time the school reached its peak of excellence in both curricular and extra curricular activities.

In 1962 MR. MATTHIAS took over as Headmaster. He formed the first Parent Teacher Association. With the help of the association and other friends Mr. Mathisas added the seventh standard block, equipped the laboratories and started new programmes.

In 1967 Mr. E.D. Savarirayan succeeded Mr. Mathias as Headmaster of the school. He succeeded in adding to the school new Chemistry and physics laboratories.

Dr. Clement Felix became the Headmaster in 1973. He started a number of curricular and building projects. The swimming pool, the auditorium, the junior and the higher secondary hostels, NCC rooms, the MRF pace foundation bear ample testimony to his untiring efforts to build the school to excellence. It was during his tenure that, the higher secondary course was introduced.

Dr. A. Jefferson Christopher succeeded him as the Headmaster in 1992. Untiring and unstinting in the efforts to upgrade the institution to the changing times, he set up a computer laboratory, Junior Science lab and Basket ball Court and was also instrumental in the construction of the compound wall along the railway track behind the school. He also made the campus greener, by growing more trees and maintaining gardens.

MCC Matric Hr. Sec. School was started in 1998 as a orunart abd feeder school to the main school with classes from LKG to Stdv. Due to public demand and parental support and the untiring efforts of the Headmaster, the primary school has risen to greater heights catering to the needs of Matriculation syllabus pursuing students. This brain child of Mr. A. Jefferson Christopher has now grown up into a Higher Secondary School under the banner Madras Christian College Matriculation higher Secondary School.